|Why should a senior citizen plan one's retirement?
Retirement is mandatory at a certain age for those who are in employment and voluntary for
the self-employed.Whether it is at 58, 60 or 65, it brings some sudden changes and harsh
adjustments for which seniors are little prepared. Overnight, they find themselves without
work, without contact with their co-workers and without any goal to look forward to. Life
ahead begins to look bleak. Sometimes depression sets in. So it is essential to plan one's
|What is pre-retirement planning?
The important things to remember about pre-retirement planning are:
- You can start planning even when you are 40 yrs. That way, your finacial resources,
investments and outcome can be planned.
- Health management: Since your health is most important, you should take care of
your body, your diet and lifestyle. You should start avoiding stress and keep yourself
physically and mentally active.
- Financial Mangement: If resources allow, you should begin to plan for a rainy
day. Pensions, savings, income from property and investments should be properly planned by
taking the advice of reliable consultants.
- Time Management: You should plan your work schedule in such a way that it does
not put a stress on your life and yet keeps you active. If you are planning on a
second career after you retirement, it would be worth your while to set aside a few hours
a week from an earlier age, to work towards that career.
|What is the advice for the retired person?
- First of all you should feel relaxed, not sad or worried. You can reflect on your past
but not dwell on it.
- Smiles and laughter will win more friends than stories of despair.
- Stop rushing through life and savour every moment.
- Plan your daily programme.
- Social activity and second careers filled with optimism will enrich your retired life.
- Retirement does not mean trying to kill time but using it to the best of your interests.
- Don't remain idle.
- Shun lonelineess.
- Stick to a health regimen with proper exercise and diet.
|What can the Government in the State and the Centre do for the
- The government should draw out schemes to tap the potential and experience of the
- Retirement homes with proper nursing facilities and
day-care centres should be established.
- Clubs for Seniors should be set-up to promote
interaction among the seniors.
- All hospitals should have seperate lines and facilities for Seniors to lessen the time
- Travel concessions should be increased.
- Income-Tax benefits and secure investment schemes should be made available.